Howdy MFPA,

Friday, May 19, 2006, 10:23:16 PM, MFPA wrotened:

>> Times change.

MFPA> Yes, when I was very young it was trendy and modern to use -ise.
MFPA> -ize was still about but generally going out of fashion.

MFPA> Throughout my school/college career -ize generally cropped up only
MFPA> in old or American texts (except for some reason in the past
MFPA> tense, -ized was much in evidence).

MFPA> A couple of decades later and -ize has gained in popularity once
MFPA> more. I remain convinced this is due to dodgy spell-checkers.  ;-)

Its  one  of those interesting things with languages... especially the
English  Language,  which  lets face it has borrowed words and phrases
from  most languages (French, Latin, Saxon etc etc.), that they are in
a permanent state of flux. To the best of my knowledge the suffix -ize
is  Americanism,  but  it did exist in one or two words in the English
version  of  English.  It's  basically a different dialect of the same
language.  However  to  put  American spellings in the British English
section  of  the  International Dictionary does seem wrong... but then
again I can always correct it.

--
Have Fun,

Ben Allen

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
crashing The Bat! v3.80.03
falling out of mid air with Windows XP 5.1 Build  2600
Service Pack 2
I ate a man's brain because he said I was stupider then him, and you
know what, now I feel smarter. Isn't that neat?