On Thursday, May 22, 2008, Robin Anson wrote:

> ... I actually searched the archives and found a response from Marek
> Mikus to Dave Goodman back in March 2006 that pointed to autocomplete
> at

>> "Options | Preferences | Message headers" where click to header and
>> select "Edit"

I blush, and admit I had forgotten about that exchange with Marek on the
same general subject. At that time my history list seemed to be putting
a lot of non-pertinent addresses in the drop-down menu as potential
auto-completion candidates, so I limited auto-completion to addresses in
the default address book.

That set-up worked fine for persons with a single address, but allowed
no access to a single person's multiple addresses except by opening the
address book, finding the person, right clicking, and selecting. Very
cumbersome!

I have reset to "To:" header options to display and auto-complete from
both the history list and from the default address book, and that seems
to be working as expected so far.

But that result would seem to indicate that multiple addresses (beyond
the first entry in the address book) are coming from the history list
rather than from the address book. As a practical matter my problem
seems solved, but I'm still wondering how people are displaying address
book entries (as opposed to history list entries) with the Ctl-+ trick
mentioned earlier.

Anyway, we may now be flogging the proverbial dead horse here. Thanks a
bunch for your help.

--

Dave Goodman
The Bat! 3.99.29