E-Mail Message
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From:     Ian A. White
Date:     Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 7:49 PM
Subject:  TheBat! And Vista 64

_____\/_____
    o/\o

> G'day Jeff,

->> On Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 9:54:27 AM, you (Jeff Gaines) wrote:

JG>> I know you can adjust UAC but it seems to me it's an honest
JG>> attempt to make Vista more secure so I will try and live with it.

> It gives the illusion of making Vista more secure, however the problem
> with it is that the alerts pop up so frequently and in so many trivial
> situations that it is self defeating. For example, you go to the
> Control Panel and make a change. When Vista attempts to make the
> change you have requested up pops UAC and suggests that someone is
> trying to make a change to the system (remember it was you, the user
> that logged in, that wants to do it) and asks you to allow it. You end
> up allowing things so much that you become programmed to simply allow
> every such query.

> So users think that the system is more secure, but ultimately it is
> the user that allows or disallows things so it is not Vista that is
> making things more secure. Vista is actually the paranoid one
> quivering in the corner asking you to make the decisions it is too
> afraid of making :-) A great marketing ploy.

lol. I didn't go that far in explaining it, but your right. It is
STILL only as secure as the human behind the keyboard [is smart].

That is why I disabled it and I find that several of the people /
places computers that I support as still just as "messed up" ..
because as you said, they just hit yes and never read or think about
it.

--
Jody

"Outlook not so good." -- That magic 8-ball (and remember, it knows everything!)

The Bat! 4.0.24.16 ... Running on Windows Vista 6.0 Service Pack 1
--

Thought / Fact / Joke of the day ....
Why do they call it a TV set when you only get one?