Hi

On Saturday 15 November 2008 at 2:36:40 PM, in
<mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jack S. LaRosa wrote:

> My wife had messages dated from 10-31 to 11-13
> disappear from her inbox. All other messages seem to be
> there. There are only 5 messages currently residing in
> the inbox with a received date of Nov. and all were
> from yesterday the 14th.

Strange. And worrying. I take it not accidentally deleted and residing
in the trash folder? Or in the folder they disappeared from if not
"compressed" since - check by selecting "browse deleted messages" from
the folder menu.

[...]

> I looked on her C: drive in the folder called "The
> Bat!" contained in the "program files" folder but I
> don't see anything in the "The Bat!" folder which would
> seem to contain all messages.

I think in very early versions of TB! the mail was there. Since I
discovered TB! at version 2.x the default has been %appdata%\The Bat!,
which might even equate to %email%. For each mail folder you should
find a messages.tbb and messages.tbi file (different extensions if you
use OTFE). The TBB file is the message base and the TBI is the index

> I use Carbonite as a backup for this computer so
> presumably Carbonite has a copy of the missing messages

I know nothing about carbonite but I would expect so if a backup was
made when the messages were present, unless the backup was overwritten
since they disappeared.

> Assuming the location of the messages is known, can I
> simply copy the messages from the Carbonite backup to
> the same location on her C: drive?

I would suggest renaming the message.tbb and .tbi files currently in
the folder (in case you need to revert to them) and copying the ones
from your backup into the folder, then firing up TB! and seeing what
messages you have.

MFPA

Is it possible to be a closet claustrophobic?

Using The Bat! v4.0.32.4 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600