Hi, everyone,

Can you help me figure out why a networked computer is unable to open my
primary account's inbox?

Here is my setup:

Two computers, both running XP Pro, are on a local wireless network (802.11b).
The desktop is connected to the router by an ethernet cable while the laptop is
connected wirelessly.  The Bat's mail files reside on the desktop and enabled
for full file sharing on Windows Explorer. The files are accessed by users of
both the desktop and the laptop.  Thus it is possible for the laptop user to
download, read, write, and delete any e-mail. I have twelve e-mail accounts,
coming from three different mail servers: gmail, a private domain, and my ISP's
server. Because of the 60 ft, two-floor, distance between the laptop and  the
router (which cannot be moved), the laptop's connection to the network is slow,
but it does work.  This setup has worked fine for about five months. FWIW, the
entire desktop is backed up on an external hard drive, nightly. Three full
backups are on the external hard drive (full file backups, not imaged).

However, increasingly, in recent weeks, the laptop occasionally fails to open
up the inbox of my primary account which comes through the private domain, even
though it can open up the sent and outbox folders as well as all other
mailboxes, including those coming from the same server as the inbox of my
primary account. On the desktop, this inbox is fully accessible, although,
occasionally it will also appear blank-but I have always been able to repair it
using the maintenance center.

To try and repair the missing e-mail from my primary account's inbox when
accessing mail from the laptop I have done the following: On the desktop, I
opened up the maintenance center and ran a full repair of the entire Mail
directory (checkmarking "check integrity," "remove duplicates," and
"compress"). I have tried to do the same on the laptop.  However, the
maintanance center states for the problematic inbox, "cannot open message
base."  I have checked the properties for the inbox while using the laptop to
confirm that it is the same folder as that accessed by the e-mail client when
using the desktop.  Can you help me to troubleshoot this further?

I don't know if file size has anything to do with this, but the inbox .tbb file
is about 397 MB and the entire inbox is about 2.76GB.  The entire primary
account is 3.02 GB  (file size is determined by right clicking on the folder in
Windows Explorer and going to "properties."  The file size listings from within
The Bat do not appear to be reliable.

Any ideas as to what I can do to fix this?

--
Avi
Avram Sacks

running The Bat ver. 4.0.20