Hi

On Sunday 1 March 2009 at 6:35:44 PM, in
<mid:448171083.20090301103...@pobox.com>, Bill McQuillan wrote:

> I have noticed that the TBUDL list server makes several
> changes to each message that it forwards:

>    Adding the List-Id, etc. header fields Adding the
>    Current version... to the bottom of text/plain
>    messages Adding a new Current version... part to
>    multipart/mixed messages

> I also notice that the Content-Type and
> Content-Transfer-Encoding header fields are placed with
> the List-* fields in the header and not with the
> Mime-Version field where most clients place them.

Looking at the headers/kludges, there is a huge difference between the
message received directly and the one received via the list server.
I don't see that posting the two for comparison would serve a purpose
but I can later if anybody asks.

> This leads me to believe that the list server builds a
> new message and then after deleting the existing
> Content-* fields recreates them by scanning the message
> for non-ascii characters and setting the the
> Content-Type field to us-ascii if that will suffice.

I shall include a couple of pound signs. IIRC, that is not a us-ascii
character. Here goes: ££. Wonder if it will still use us-ascii?

> There is some justification for this in the Email RFCs
> where it shows a preference for the simplest level
> necessary when encoding a message.

Clearly, TB! doesn't share that preference - so it sends using the
character set you tell it to use. (-;

------------

> In a separate pet peeve of mine, it seems that this
> much processing of each message would make it
> straightforward for the list server to determine
> whether a cut mark already exists and insert one just
> before the footer if necessary. This could reduce the
> fish traffic on this list considerably! <end peeve> :-)

Some of the messages (for example
<mid:160674186.20090213171...@optusnet.com.au>) show the list footer
in a separate tab. Would that also prevent them being quoted in the
event that the poster missed out his cut mark and the replier failed
to trim?

MFPA

An idealist is a person who helps other people to be prosperous

Using The Bat! v4.0.38 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600