Hi

On Monday 14 September 2009 at 5:30:28 PM, in
<mid:573676012.20090914173...@theluminousvoid.plus.com>,
Robert Bull <postmas...@theluminousvoid.plus.com> wrote:

> I've been using encrypted TB 3.99.3 on Win98 for ages.
> I made TB back itself up, copied the backup to my new
> Vista laptop, and restored onto TB 4.2.9.1. Both copies
> of TB are registered (i.e. I upgraded). I was expecting
> an encrypted backup to require a password to restore,
> which didn't seem to happen (as I recall it). And, TB
> isn't now encrypted.

I believe you have to do a completely fresh install and tell it
to use OTFE during the installation.

>  It loads without requiring a
> password, and message bases are readable with a file
> viewer.

> This seems to me a security breach.

It sounds that way but I'm sure I have seen people suggest on this
list to back up an encrypted message base, uninstall TB!, install TB!
a-fresh without opting to use OTFE, then restore from the backup to
get back to a non-encrypted messagebase. I cannot currently remember
for certain whether the advice suggested a password would be needed
but I think it did not.

> Have I missed something?

I don't think so.

[continuing off-topic]

By the way, I only found your posting by accident because your from
address begins "postmaster@" and (for the messages I receive) that
usually means it will be a delivery failure report, often for spam
that somebody sent spoofing one of my addresses. Maybe it would be
worth considering whether sending out from that address is causing
others to miss some of your mail. Just a thought. (-;

--
Best regards

MFPA

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows

Using The Bat! v4.0.38 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600