Hi

On Saturday 7 November 2009 at 2:08:04 PM, in
<mid:1957454123.20091107090...@earthlink.net>, Ed Germain wrote:

> Folks, here's a simple question for a complex problem:

Not sure how this relates to the "Accessing Contacts lists on
Gmail/Google Apps" thread you have posted it in reply to.

> Problem:  because of a series of mistakes over several
> years, I have at least 4 copies of the current version
> of TheBat!  This has resulted in confusing TheBat! and
> me.  *.exe files are in one folder, msgs are in others,
> Antispamsniper doesn't know where to install itself so
> it can show on TheBat!'s toolbar.  It's quite a
> labyrinth of confusion.

Sounds like fun. Do all these TheBat! executables access the same
messagebase, or is it divided?

> Question:  if I simply backup all my msgs (about 2,500
> btw)

Good to have a backup, but why not just copy your message folder
system to the location where you want it to end up? Your signature
omits your windows version but I believe the default for XP is
c:\documents and settings\**YOUR USER NAME**\application Data\The Bat!

> and then erase all copies of TheBat! from my
> computer and from the registry,

I would suggest renaming files rather than deleting, in the first
instance. Then you can switch back if it all goes wrong. Same with
registry entries - rename the key or export it to a file in case you
need it back. If, as you say, your *.exe files are in one folder,
maybe one of them has the right name?

> and then reload TheBat!

That would be re-install...

and when reinstalling, create your main account with exactly the same
name as before and make sure you point it to the right folder. After
that, with focus in your folder list, CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+L might find your
other accounts and folders

> and restore the backup, will I have everything in the
> right folders and live happily ever after?

With luck. My suggestion above even saves the bother of restoring a
backup.

> Could someone please advise me how to restore MyBat! to
> a healthy existence creating the right paths and
> inserting my existing msgs therein?

default path to TB! executable (in XP) is
c:\Program Files\The Bat!\thebat.exe

--
Best regards

MFPA

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes

Using The Bat! v4.0.38 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600