Even I am not sure why loading tclblend in a tcl shell should cause a  perl
script behave different. But that is what happens. I will upgrade the
versions as suggested by you.

To re-iterate what I said, from a tcl shell, I do an exec and call a perl
program. I get the tcl shell prompt back when I do not load tclblend but
when I do a 'package require java' and then call the perl program, the tcl
shell prompt never comes back. The perl program keeps running.

Thanks
Suvarna