Well, I don't know about "resident expert" or "guru."  Generally,
I self-identify as an opinionated SOB who just might hold the
record for resigning from more tech pubs manager positions
than anyone else who's likely to reply to your question (four so
far).

Barry mentioned Peter Hartman's book, which is very good.
A lot of the material he covered was nuts-and-bolts stuff, such
as defining and planning specific types of documents, and I
have to say that for me none of that has ever been directly
usable without a lot situation-specific rewriting of the rules.
But I do recommend his advice on the actual management
of people and projects.  Fortunately, the high points can be
read for free here:

http://www.stc.org/confproceed/2001/PDFs/STC48-000109.PDF

My own personal additions to this would be:

1.  You make yourself look good in your job by giving
      people who report to you assignments, guidance and
      support that make them look good in theirs.

2.  If it becomes necessary for your people to go into
     combat, you should be at the front leading the charge,
     not at the rear sending people out to die for you.

3.  When evaluating the success and failure of projects
      and people, the goal is always improvement, not
      blame or punishment.  The only "dumb mistake" is
      one that is being repeated.  Especially by you.

Gene Kim-Eng