When I learned to type (senior year of HS, 1970) I had no idea that
I would end up spending so much of my time on a keyboard. The
only keyboards as we know them in those days were the ones on
computer punchcard stations, typing clases were part of the
"secretarial" program that only girls signed up for, and I ended up
one of only two guys in a class of almost 30 getting some very
confused looks from a lot of people, both student and faculty. But
as a junior on college tours I had seen ads on student bulletin
boards from people offering to type term papers at $3.00 a page,
which for a 17 year old in 1970 was one heck of a lot of money,
so I figured that not knowing how to type could end up being a
choice between turning in a nicely typed term paper and eating
for a week.

Gene Kim-Eng