I think we need more context. Because, honestly, I think mute/unmute is
pretty prevalent, and why would you want alternatives?

I just checked the help on my Blackberry and it says "to mute do this, to
turn mute off do that." But my conference service is quite clear on
mute/unmute. The sound card on my laptop says "mute" (not "turn off sound").

So... Who's your audience, Sean? What's the context?

...sue