Employers do not have zero motivation for continuing education. They most
likely DO have zero motivation for graduate degrees. If  you, as a tech
writer, don't have any degrees, then using tuition reimbursement to get an
Associates and then Bach degree is likely in the company's best interest.
Not so much for a Masters.

..sue