I include almost all screen shots in the printed (PDF) documentation.
Depending on your audience, the user may not have the software application
running. So screen shots, in this instance, are essential. A good example is
the CIO of a company may be looking at your product to see if it'll solve
potential security issues. He or she will be reading your docs on the plane.
Without context (screen shots), the docs can be difficult to understand.

I do NOT include screen shots in the online help (well, there are a few
exceptions such as the main app window, icons, and so on).

As far as whether online help can replace printed docs, that depends on your
users. In most of my 20 years of doing this (well, OK, 15 with online help),
I've found that when we did not include the user's guide, people howled. And
so we provided both online and print (PDF) docs. Generally, the help will
install with the app while the UG can be downloaded from the Web site or be
installed.

Another thing to note... there is some information that is irrelvante in
online help but is required in print. Information such as how to install the
product, for example. So if you do not have, at the least, a separate
installation guide, you're actually gonna confuse your users. Do they need
to install the app to find out how to install it? So, my general rule of
thumb is:

1. Printed documentation includes installation; includes screen shots; does
not include c-s help
2. Online help includes c-s help; does not include installation; does not
include screen shots

YMMV. Natch.
...sue