I'm in the same boat except that I live in Wisconsin. In my case, when
I joined lo these many years ago I was auto-assigned to the Wisconsin
chapter. I've switched back and forth between the Chicago chapter and
the Wisconsin (Milwaukee) chapter depending on whether I was working
in Illinois or Wisconsin. The last two years, I bit the bullet and
paid extra to be associated with both chapters. Given that I'm working
in the Milwaukee area, I don't get to Chicago chapter events. I wish
they'd occasionaly have one say around Ohare or Northbrook so I could
actually consider going.

Mike
--
Mike Starr                            WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer   -   Online Help Developer   -    Website developer