"Peter Gold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Honk if you joined this list because of that post.

HONK!

Since we are all introducing ourselves, I'll chime in.

I am a Technical Writer, managing documents for telecom test equipment.
I've been working here for about 17 years.

I started out - fresh out of college - as a Desktop Publishing
Assistant. Back then the company was only about 30 people. I supported
all of the company's documentation: data sheets, manuals, forms, etc.
The Marketing folks were the manual writers back then, and I "prettied
up" the documents. Over the years, as I read the documents over and
over, I learned how the products work. So, I grew into a Technical
Writer. In fact, for a little while, I even did some technical support
and training.

In my career with this company, I've seen acquisitions, mergers, and
layoffs. I actually was affected by one of the last layoffs; however,
after a little over a year, I was called back. (I like to say "they came
to their senses and called me back." :-)) So, after about 4 company name
changes, and going from 30 employees to over 2500, I'm still here.

I am one of two writers in our Division/Business unit. Corporate-wide, I
would guess there are probably 15-20 writers. In our group, we maintain
User's Guides, Reference Guides, online help (typically HTML), and other
documents for the products that the company designs and manufactures.
These documents could be a two-page quick reference guide or a 400 page
manual full of step-by-step procedures regarding the use of the product.
I am located in Salem, Virginia (just west of Roanoke). The other writer
is located in Germantown, MD (near DC).

We use FrameMaker 7.2, WebWorks Standard, Acrobat Pro 5 and 7, and even
<gasp> MS Word.  Typically, we deliver the documents in PDF on a CD,
and, if needed, single-source the content to HTML. On occasion, we also
use a Translations agency to localize our GUIs and manuals to several
languages.

My workload tends to have hills and valleys, so in those times when my
workload is light (the "valleys") I help out the Test Engineering group
with design verification and system acceptance testing.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Yvonne Mills
Technical Writer 2
JDSU-ComTest-TFS

Author Help files and create printed documentation with Doc-To-Help.
New release adds Team Authoring Support, enhanced Web-based help
technology and PDF output. Learn more at www.doctohelp.com/tcp.