OK, I've had time to think about this. First, I don't know how I got
dragged into this, perhaps by a simple reply-all that trapped my
light-hearted poke at Dick (someone I've known for many years in
various technical forums, and I believe we've even had dinner together
once), but going back through my posts, I don't think I've made any
kind of stink about this "issue".

I find it commendable that Michael is looking into this and is pushing
the feedback up the management chain for consideration. I also think
that they've done nothing wrong. Sure, those who were early adopters
of FM 8 will likely "eat" that cost of purchase if something new comes
out later. It seems this and its parent thread are stemming from the
emotion behind the original post and not from fact (otherwise SEC
guidelines, pricing structure, and other facts might have added value
and not have been lost in the shuffle).

It doesn't matter when you buy a product; risk of something new coming
out is always there. You buy what you need when you need it, and then
you adjust from there. Early adoption of technology runs the same risk
as late or "average" adoption - things may change (change is
inevitable, as are death and taxes). Honestly, this whole thread
reminds me of the uproar surrounding the Apple product line
announcement a couple of months ago. Early iPhone adopters were livid
that they paid $200 more for a device with half the storage as the new
iPhone offering. But they wanted to be among the first to have one.
You can't have it both ways. You buy what you need/want when you
need/want it, and take your chances.

Now, a few things remain unanswered. Does the TCS give the original
poster what they were looking for (tight integration of FM content in
RH), or is it merely the $999 sticker upgrade price that is causing
this person to think "wow, I missed a bargain"? But I think this
thread/discussion/whatever it is now has gone beyond that.

Michael provided solid information to several lists and forums about
TCS when it was announced, and even held an impromptu Q&A about it on
those resources. To his credit, he corrected the information on the
Adobe web site about the offering as well when questions came up about
it. In short, he's been getting folks the info they need/want. It may
not be what some want to hear, but it's at least fact. It may not be
when some needed to hear it, but that goes back to the whole ignored
SEC thing that I guess isn't important to this discussion.

All that said, this thread's gone rogue. I'm done.

--
Bill Swallow
Senior Member STC, TechValley Chapter
STC Single-Sourcing SIG Manager
http://techcommdood.blogspot.com

Author Help files and create printed documentation with Doc-To-Help.
New release adds Team Authoring Support, enhanced Web-based help
technology and PDF output. Learn more at www.doctohelp.com/tcp.