Hi Lisa,

Good luck also!

I've used Microsoft Visual SourceSafe, Perforce, and Subversion (SVN) /
TortoiseSVN.

I always recommend Perforce to clients.

Among it's strengths:

It's excellent for large, geographically disparate groups.

Tech support is excellent.

Powerful diffing tool. Can use 3rd-party diffing tools. Beyond Compare is
excellent. I couldn't do my work without it.

Uses a 2-phase commit model, either all files go in or none. Very safe to
put files in over dialup.

By default, multiple users can edit a file at a time (but you can specify
single user editing).

Runs on Windows, many flavors of Unix, Linux, and Macintosh.

Seems to have a longer learning curve than VSS. (Some terms are
non-intuitive.)

www.perforce.com. End-user licenses used to start at $750, volume discounts
are available. Fully-functional 2-user licenses are a free download.It's
bulletproof.

Visual SourceSafe:

Standard Windows GUI design, with drag & drop capability.

Powerful diffing tool. VSS 2005 allows you to specify a third-party diffing
tool.

By default, only a single user can edit a file at a time.

Runs on Windows but can store Unix files in it. 3rd-party Unix and Macintosh
versions are available.

Comes bundled with Microsoft Visual Studio.

Risky to check-in over dialup, can have partial checkins.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/ssafe/prodinfo/ Retail price was $549. Volume
discounts are available.

Note restriction of 12GB for VSS databases, impacts doc heavily for
graphics.

Subversion / TortoiseSVN are open source tools used by several of my
clients. Seems to work ok for them.

Whatever, you choose, I'd suggest creating a sandbox with your documents and
let people play for a month before making your system live so they get used
to the tool and don't shoot themselves in the foot.

Disclaimer, I give talks on using file management systems effectively and
offer best practices that you won't find in any help system to help you
avoid that almost universal boo-boo of overwriting your work while using
these tools (somewhat like clicking OK to a Format C question.)

Ed

Message: 5