Run enough juice through them and they pass through a transitional
state of being a "Noise Emitting Diodes" (NED) followed by a
permanent change to a "Darkness Emitting Diode" (DED).  :)  :)

To actually answer your question, I'd agree with you: a consistent
on/off (particularly an even one, but that's probably just me) sounds
more like "flashing," whereas a specific number of times lighting up
would be more like "blinking."  I've a feeling that this may be a
distinction without a difference, however.  By any wild chance,
does... oh, the MS Style Manual or the CMOS have anything to say
about this?  (I seriously doubt the latter does; the former just might.)

Yours truly,

John Hedtke
Author/Consultant/Contract Writer
www.hedtke.com <-- website