Hi, I am doing a research project on clock syncronization using ntp, pcap and
tsc. Hopefully the outcome will be a very accurate and robust difference clock.
One thing is really bothering me though. I need to have a timestamp that I am
SURE of being BEFORE (but very very close to) the NTP packet was sent.

Please pick one or two or all to answer:

*How does pcap timestamp outbound packets?
(Is it doing a copy of the packet, timestamping it and then send it, or is it
somehow sent and then timestamped?)

*How accurate is the pcap timestamp (scheduling errors etc)? Is there big
accuracy differences between different OS (BSD and Linux). Can I use sigfigs
for this? How do I access sigfigs from what I get from pcap_next?

*Is there any way of knowing what tsc was when the software clock
timestamp was made?

Regards,
Erik Corell
-