Guy Harris wrote:

On Apr 7, 2005, at 7:33 AM, Brown, Mark C (GSE GCSM) wrote:

Here's a patch to allow the user to override the DLSAP in the
DL_BIND_REQ via environment variable PCAP_SAP when running on HP-UX.
There have been issues with other applications binding to 22

I.e., other applications trying to read raw packets?

The value of 22 for INSAP came from the sample code at

    http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90139/apas03.html

and

    http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90871/apas04.html

Is there anything special about a SAP of 22? It sounds as if there isn't, as you're implying that overriding 22 with a different SAP value still works.

I'll bet it is rather like how so many applications blythly took "listen(socket,5)" from examples and documentation, only this time, there is an opportunity to conflict.

rick jones
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.