Guy Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> If the interface doesn't change (so that the new version of the library
> is binary backwards-compatible with the old version, even if it's not
> forwards-compatible, i.e. new APIs were added or new capabilities were
> added to existing APIs), the version number shouldn't be incremented and
> the soname shouldn't change.

Yeah, the fact that libpcap 0.9 uses a new soname in Debian is
accidental, I assumed it wouldn't be compatible (like 0.8 vs. 0.7) but
it turns out that it is.  Not a big deal...

By the way, icheck has the following to say about 0.9 vs. 0.8, it might
come in handy to whoever will be writing the changes file:

--
  ,''`.
 : :' :        Romain Francoise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>