On May 5, 2013, at 3:49 PM, Stephen Donnelly <stephen.donne...@emulex.com>
wrote:

> In 2007 in libpcap afbb1ce7 you committed some code (possibly from Florent
> Drouin) adding the LT_FCS_DATALINK_EXT mechanism to record whether the
> capture includes information about captured FCS length, and if so what length
> it is.

Yes, that was from a thread with the subject "Request for a new DLT for MTP2
with FCS" from 2007, in which Florent, you, and I were the participants.

> I believe that currently only the DAG capture code supports this, and as
> implemented the LT_FCS_LENGTH is in units of 16-bits, e.g. 16-bit FCS returns
> 1, and 32-bit FCS returns 2?

Units of bits won't work, as the field is only 4 bits long, so it can't even
handle 16 bits.  As units of 16 bits is already being used, we might as well go
with it.

> I don't think Wireshark's pcap wiretap code currently uses this mechanism to
> check for FCS length, does it make sense to add it?

Yes, it does.  If you have libpcap 1.0 or later, you have pcap_datalink_ext(),
so tcpdump could use it as well.