Thanks Guy! I actually did try the win -pcap first. I  tried building SILK
with the option --with-libpcap=XXX giving the location of the libwpcap.a
library(which I got from the developer's pack) and it still complained that
it couldn't find lwpcap.

So not sure what else I can try. That's when I thought I should try libpcap
directly.

Phoebe