On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Michal Sekletar <msekl...@redhat.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 12:38:24AM -0500, Benjamin Vanheuverzwijn wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi Benjamin,

Hi, thanks for your reply!

> > libpcap version: 1.4.0 (on archlinux)
>
> I am running Fedora 19 (libpcap-1.4.0).
>

> > Is it possible to have multiple call to "pcap_open_live()" followed by
> > pcap_close() ?
>
> It shouldn't be a problem.
>

> > It seems like pcap_close() doesn't cleanly close opened resources, if you
> > strace the following program, you will see file descriptors growing up.
>
> I am unable to reproduce the issue. In strace output I see only descriptor
> 3
> which is acquired and closed on every iteration. Tried with two NICs,
> wired and
> wireless.
>

> > Am i doing it wrong? How it should be done?
>
> From output you have provided I have a suspicion that your problem is
> somehow
> caused by calling open() on those /sys/bus/usb/* files. I don't have those
> in my
> strace output, probably because interface you have used is hotplugged
> wireless
> usb dongle, I guess (judging by interface name from udev).
>
> I might be able to try again with wireless USB dongle tomorrow. Will keep
> you
> posted on my findings.

Actually "wls3" is a pci device:
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN
[Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61)

But as you found out, i also had a USB dongle plugged in. I tried to remove
the USB dongle but i have the same problem.

I've attached a strace output file with 10 iterations.

I'll keep experimenting.

--
Benjamin Vanheuverzwijn