30.12.2013, 18:08, "Denis Ovsienko" <infrastat...@yandex.ru>:
> 23.12.2013, 21:48, "Evgheni Antropov" <aid...@gmail.com>:
>
>>   Hello I have try to compile tcpdump-4.5.1.tar.gz with libpcap-1.5.2.tar.gz
>>    and receive following error:
>>
>>   checking for pcap-config... /usr/local/bin/pcap-config
>>   checking for pcap_loop... no
>>   configure: error: Report this to tcpdump-workers@lists.tcpdump.org, and
>>   include the
>>   config.log file in your report.  If you have downloaded libpcap from
>>   tcpdump.org, and built it yourself, please also include the config.log
>>   file from the libpcap source directory, the Makefile from the libpcap
>>   source directory, and the output of the make process for libpcap, as
>>   this could be a problem with the libpcap that was built, and we will
>>   not be able to determine why this is happening, and thus will not be
>>   able to fix it, without that information, as we have not been able to
>>   reproduce this problem ourselves.
>
> List,
>
> last week I ran into this issue once but could not reproduce afterwards. My
> guess is this error is specific to non-straightforward builds of libpcap
> and/or leftovers across multiple build attempts.

I don't know if that is related but a different way to trigger this failure on
Solaris/SPARC is to compile libpcap in 64-bit mode and then to try compiling
tcpdump in default 32-bit mode. The configure script will fail with the message
and the log file will contain:

configure:5774: checking for local pcap library
configure:5983: result: ./../libpcap/libpcap.a
configure:5987: checking for pcap-config
configure:6005: found ./../libpcap/pcap-config
configure:6017: result: ./../libpcap/pcap-config
configure:6079: checking for pcap_loop
configure:6079: gcc -o conftest -DINET6 -I/usr/inet6/include -g -O2
conftest.c ./../libpcap/libpcap.a -lsocket -lnsl  -lsocket -lnsl -lsmi  >&5
ld: warning: file ./../libpcap/libpcap.a(pcap.o): wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
pcap_loop                           /var/tmp//cc63sAMt.o
ld: fatal: symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest

    Denis Ovsienko