On Nov 24, 2014, at 1:24 PM, Denis Ovsienko <de...@ovsienko.info> wrote:

> So the problem is to let GitHub do its good things to tcpdump yet to protect
> from the bad ones. To me it seems that for the next few years the best
> balance between survivability and convenience would be in continuing to use
> both GitHub and bpf.tcpdump.org, but with one important change. The changes
> should normally be committed to GitHub instance only, as that's currently the
> environment that is most convenient for contributors of varying levels of
> experience. Then bpf.tcpdump.org would not experience auto-merging
> difficulties any more and with the two repositories being 100% identical

What mechanism would be used to ensure that any change committed to GitHub will
be pushed/pulled to bpf.tcpdump.org in a timely fashion when possible (with
catchup pushes/pulls if it becomes impossible for a while due to some problem)?

> the read-only choice between the two will become again purely theoretical and
> a matter of taste.

But doesn't "The changes should normally be committed to GitHub instance only"
mean that the bpf.tcpdump.org repository should be treated as read-only for
contributors - presumably including core contributors?