---- On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 16:44:24 +0100 Ed Sealing  wrote ----
>We're writing an application around libpcap. The app may or may not have
>DNS resolution available. We've noticed that when DNS resolution is not
>available, we experience long delays when pre-testing the filters (prior to
>applying them).
>
>Is there a way to programatically disable name resolution in libpcap
>(similar to tcpdump "-n" argument)? I haven't been able to find a variable
>to pass in that would accomplish this directly in the library. I'm sure it
>exists, but can't seem to find it.

"-n" is an option to tcpdump only, libpcap works the same way with and without
it. The only case where DNS may be involved in libpcap is if the filter
contains hostnames, which would need to be translated to addresses first to
compile the filter. Could you post an example of the delay you are seeing?

--
    Denis Ovsienko