Hi Guy,

> (Re-sending, from my real e-mail address rather than my forwarding-for-life
> e-mail address, because the latter had issues and required moderation.)
I had some issues with not appearing messages as well :(.

> On Jul 10, 2018, at 9:34 AM, Petr Vorel <pvo...@suse.cz> wrote:

> > I'm playing with implementing LINKTYPE_LINUX_SLL2 [1] as a part of [3]
> > in libpcap and using it in tcpdump.

> This requires a numerical value to be assigned to LINKTYPE_LINUX_SLL2 and
> DLT_LINUX_SLL2; no such value has yet been assigned.
It seems it should be 276 (next free number).
I've sent it as a pull request to github (I prefer using git format-patch && git
send-email to ML as it's kind of archive, but it looks like you're happily using
pull requests).
https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/tcpdump-htdocs/pull/11

> > 1) Keeping LINKTYPE_LINUX_SLL [2] altogether with LINKTYPE_LINUX_SLL2,
> > compile
> > both (having one of them as default for linux, second allow to use with -y
> > switch
> > in tcpdump).
> > 2) Keeping LINKTYPE_LINUX_SLL [2] altogether with LINKTYPE_LINUX_SLL2 but
> > compile only one of them (allow to chose via --with-pcap).
> > 3) Replace LINKTYPE_LINUX_SLL with LINKTYPE_LINUX_SLL2.

> > I've got somehow working 3), but some tcpdump tests are failing and I guess
> > that's not what would be accepted due backwards compatibility.
> > I guess 1) is what is wanted,

> Yes.

> It allows somebody to produce a capture file that can be read by software
> that doesn't yet support SLL2.
Make sense. Thanks for clarification.

Kind regards,
Petr