On 05/08/2018 14:46, Denis Ovsienko wrote:
>  ---- On Sat, 04 Aug 2018 08:41:10 +0100 Francois-Xavier Le Bail
> <devel.fx.leb...@orange.fr> wrote ----
>  > On 04/08/2018 09:03, Guy Harris wrote:
>  > > On Aug 3, 2018, at 6:44 PM, Michael Richardson <m...@sandelman.ca> wrote:
>  > >
>  > >> Guy Harris <ghar...@sonic.net> wrote:
>  > >>> Currently, the tcpdump tests for AFS fail if you're not in the time
>  > >>> zone where the .out files were generated, because AFS time stamps are
>  > >>> printed as local time rather than as UTC.
>  > >>
>  > >> That's broken
>  >
>  > Why broken ? it's just local time.
>
> The problem is to make the printed value unambiguous (i.e. for any valid
> binary value VP1 from the packet there is exactly one printed string value
> VS, and VS can be parsed into exactly one binary value VP2, and VP1 == VP2).
> If the VS value uses local clock time, the format should tell the timezone,
> such that the output of tcpdump made in one time zone can be correctly
> understood by the user in another (less human errors).
>
> One problem with setting TZ before running is that tcpdump output does not
> tell what timezone it uses, and even if it does, some users will get
> different output for the same input by default. Another is that the test will
> require a custom script because at the moment the tests in TESTLIST either
> all use a custom TZ, or none of them (as it is now).
>
> That said, if the output uses UTC, it could be helpful to use an unambiguous
> format as well, as in commit 99412d6.
>
>  > > So we should just change it to use gmtime() rather than localtime().
>  >
>  > I think an user prefer have the local time.

There are two cases:

1) As a user, when I run a capture, I prefer the printing of local time for all
time display.
If, for any reason, I want to change this I can use: (TZ=... ; tcpdump ...)

2) For tests in TESTLIST, we could build and check the output with TZ=GMT0 (in
TESTrun.sh and
update-test.sh).
Like that, we could run the tests without the '-t' option and get
problems/changes in time printing
functions. Need an update to the current tests outputs (I can do it).