On May 20, 2024, at 9:56 AM, Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca> wrote:

>> implementation under the APSL license, I wonder if the community is
>> allowed to submit a pull request for it. Are there any restrictions or
>> guidelines we should be aware of in this regard?  Thanks for your time
>> and patience.
>
> My understanding is that the APSL is not compatible with the BSD 2-clause.

The main problem with the APSL that I know of is the patent clause, which might
mean that, if somebody uses APSLed code as a result of using libpcap to read or
write pcapng files, their license to use it would terminate immediately and
without notice if they file a patent lawsuit against Apple (unless they do so

Not being a lawyer, I don't know whether the patent clause would apply to users
of libpcap (or tcpdump, if we pick up any APSL-licensed code), or just to the
Tcpdump Group (I suspect we're unlikely to apply for any patents).

See my longer email reply to the original message.