On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 22:51:41 -0800
Guy Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ...and prevents autoconf 2.13 from generating a usable script - it
> doesn't understand "m4_pattern_allow()", so it just puts
>
>       m4_pattern_allow(LIBOBJS)
>
> into the configure script.

Supporting a range of versions of autoconf is admirable, but I think the
more recent versions should have priority over older versions. From a
little research, it seems that autoconf 2.50 was released in mid-2001
which really is some time ago.

> I don't know whether there's a way to get the newer autoconfs not to
> complain without breaking older autoconfs.  If not, we'll probably have
> to decide to require anybody doing development on the configure scripts
> to have a newer autoconf, and use the newer autoconf to generate the
> scripts.

Yep, and that can be enforced by adding something like:

    AC_PREREQ(2.54)

at the top of configure.in to prevent versions earlier than 2.54 being
used.

Erik
[N] Erik de Castro Lopo, Senior Computer Engineer
[E] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[W] http://www.sensorynetworks.com
[T] +61 2 83022726
[F] +61 2 94750316
[A] L4/140 William St, East Sydney NSW 2011, Australia