On 07/29/2014 07:36 AM, Tero Kivinen wrote:
> Martin Thomson writes:

>> 4. Able to access peer authentication credentials (often in
>> combination with 3)
>
> This one is quite hard in practice, and will depend a lot about the
> actual protocol we select. In the tcpcrypt there is no way to do
> authentication, so there cannot be any authenticated credentials
> there.

I think this is a misunderstanding of what tcpcrypt offers.

tcpcrypt offers a shared-secret session ID that should be unique across
all tcpcrypt sessions ever.  This is the equivalent to a tls-unique
(assuming that tls-unique actually worked properly [0]).

With such a shared secret, any number of authentication hooks are
possible, including:

 0) transmitting a signature over the shared secret by an asymmetric key
(the public key could be embedded in a certificate).

 1) transmitting a cryptographic digest H(session_id||PSK) for some
pre-shared key PSK to prove posession of the PSK

So I think "no way to do authentication" is not an accurate way to
describe what tcpcrypt offers.

        --dkg

[0] https://secure-resumption.com/