Catching up - sorry if this has been discussed already elsewhere already:

I think there is quite some running code for protecting the TCP header, using
TCP-AO or predecessors, albeit that running code seems to be used mostly in
special environments, e.g., where RST attacks matter.

If tcpinc specifies yet another scheme to protect the TCP header (i.e., other
than TCP-AO), I think the interoperability with the existing running code has
to be considered and documented. Specifically, I guess there could be
deployment scenarios where TCP-based authentication is already in place, but
additional tcpinc-like encryption is desirable. (Well, probably we are not
talking here about residential Internet access.)

I haven't fully thought of all details, but for schemes other than
draft-touch-tcp-ao-encrypt some questions would come into my mind:

- If a TCP stack has to select either TCP-AO or tcpinc header encryption, which
one should be used? Would TCP-AO have precedence, i.e., would there be a
recommendation to disable the tcpinc header protection if TCP-AO is negotiated
on a connection? Would it be prohibited to use both header protection schemes
simultaneously? If so, how would one deal with applications explicitly asking
for tcpinc header protection (e.g., TCP_CRYPT_RSTCHK in tcpcrypt)?

- If a TCP stack is told to use both TCP-AO and a tcpinc header protection
(assuming header protection is part of the tcpinc protocol, not based on
TCP-AO, and simultaneous use is allowed by the spec), in which order would both
schemes be applied? What happens if there both protocols disagree regarding the
validity of a header?

I think such questions can be sorted out, i.e., it is not clearly an argument
for or against. But TCP-AO interoperability seems to require discussion if
tcpinc indeed should work out yet another TCP header protection.

Michael