Greetings, all,

> On 31 Mar 2015, at 17:44, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <d...@fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
>
> On Tue 2015-03-31 10:02:38 -0400, Eric Rescorla wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 7:01 AM, Eric Rescorla <e...@rtfm.com> wrote:
>>> Either that or (my preference) specify an AEAD (combined encryption
>>> and integrity) algorithm such as AES-GCM or ChaCha/Poly1305.
>>> It's always hard to read community consensus, but my sense is that
>>> AEAD represents the current best practice.
>
> I think this fairly states the TLS WG's consensus.
>
>> I should have mentioned, TLS 1.2 already supports AEAD algorithms and
>> they're the only constructions which will be allowed in TLS 1.3.
>
> This is true, but the framing mechanism (after the first handshake) is
> potentially up for a transition in 1.3 as well.
>
> I think it would be a mistake for tcpcrypt to duplicate the TLS framing
> mechanism byte-for-byte.  TLS carries with it a complicated and
> difficult legacy, and its framing is a part of that.  tcpcrypt has an
> opportunity to not deal with that legacy, and can be cleaner.  let's be
> cleaner where we can be :)

+1 to learning from the past, yes.

Learning from my own past, corner cases in framing are an excellent place to
make design mistakes that you won't find for a while because, hey, it's only
framing and framing's easy, right?

Not saying we shouldn't do it, but while "let's invent a new framing" doesn't
raise as many flags as "hey look at my shiny new cipher!", it still makes me
nervous.

Cheers,

Brian