> On Aug 24, 2015, at 5:31 PM, Watson Ladd <watsonbl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 7:29 AM, Ilari Liusvaara
> <ilari.liusva...@elisanet.fi> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 07:22:23AM -0700, Watson Ladd wrote:
>>> On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 6:33 AM, David Mazieres
>>>
>>> This is a misreading: I'm proposing that at any time there is only one
>>> suite that everyone uses, and versioning is just for transitions.
>>
>> This becomes highly problematic when one needs to:
>> - Support multiple security levels.
>> - There isn't one technically (meaning, ignore legal constraints)
>>  superrior algorithm.
>
> In case of point 2, why is there a need to use multiple algorithms?

Because I believe algorithm A is superior, you believe algorithm B is superior,
but neither of us thinks the other algorithm is so bad that we might as well
use cleartext.

So both of our implementations (or configurations) support both algorithms, but
whichever one gets to choose chooses according to our preference.

AES-GCM vs ChaCha20/Poly1305. Which is superior?

Yoav