Title: Nimda: The worm that won't go away

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 9:05 AM
Subject: The worm that won't go away

January 21, 2002

Copyright Information

TechRepublic's TechMails may contain links to sites on the Internet that are owned and operated by third parties. TechRepublic, Inc. is not responsible for the content of any such third-party site.

Copyright 2002 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved. TechRepublic is a registered service mark of CNET Networks, Inc.

Nimda: The worm that won't go away

Despite the fact that most major media sources are covering the latest Internet security topics, the Nimda worm is still newsworthy. That's because there are a large number of systems infected with Nimda that are continuing to spread the worm that first made headlines last September. (I do, however, believe that the number of infected systems is a small percentage of the initial attack.) What's alarming about this is that systems infected with Nimda are essentially wide open to other attacks, since it's trivial to run remote commands on infected systems.

Proof that the worm lives on

I know that Nimda is still out there because the Apache Web server logs on a number of the UNIX systems I maintain show evidence of Nimda. Here's an example of a Nimda-related log entry. (Note that the IP address has been changed to protect the guilty system.)

[Mon Jan 14 01:29:59 2002] [error] [client 192.168.1.5]
File does not exist:

/ webdocs/scripts/..%5c../winnt/system32/cmd.exe

Although tracking down a responsible party and telling them to fix their Nimda problem takes time, it can often be done with very little effort. Usually when I report a server is infected with Nimda, the company is grateful someone took the time to report the problem.

What you can do to stop the worm from spreading

If you find evidence of a Nimda-infected system scanning one of your systems, I encourage you to take a few minutes and try to help. You might be able to find the e-mail address or phone number for someone to report the Nimda scan to by using American Registry for Internet Numbers' (ARIN's) Whois program, where you can enter the IP address of the infected system, and click Submit.

ARIN maintains a fairly accurate database of networks and who controls them for the North America, South America, Caribbean countries, and even parts of Africa. If you don't find the exact network, the closest match to it will be found. (There are other Whois servers for other areas of the world that have similar ways to look up networks to find a network contact person or e-mail.)

However, using ARIN's database isn't the only way to find a company's contact to let them know they have Nimda. Since Nimda lives on Windows IIS Web servers, you can sometimes use "nslookup" to find the name of the Webserver. (Note: I don't recommend this unless you have all the scripting disabled in your Web browser, which for most people is Internet Explorer. I always disable Active Scripting in IE unless it's required for a particular Web site, and then I add it to my Trusted Sites list.)

Other recent personal experiences with Nimda

In the incident that prompted me to write this article, I went against my normal rule of just sending an e-mail message and called the company after finding their contact information at ARIN. I told the switchboard that I was reporting a network intrusion from their network and asked to speak to someone in their IT department. I wasn't able to talk to anyone in IT, but I did leave a message stating that the IP address of the system was attempting to spread Nimda to a system where I work. The key to reporting a problem like this is to be direct, brief, and informative without getting angry or derogatory.

Another example of how I know Nimda is still lurking around is a recent incident at my job involving a fresh install of a Windows 2000 system. Impossible as it might sound, Nimda infected the system less than 15 minutes after it was installed--just after the first reboot and before service packs could be applied. The infected machine was quickly found and its network access was unplugged, but it left many people scratching their heads as to how Nimda could have infected the system so fast.

Conclusion

Nimda just doesn't seem to want to go away, so make sure that you take the appropriate measures to make sure it doesn't rear it's ugly head on your network. If you do find evidence of a Nimda intrusion on your Web server's log files, you can help by taking a few minutes to e-mail the network contact and letting them know there's a problem.

To comment on this TechMail, write to Jonathan Yarden.

Jonathan Yarden is the senior UNIX system administrator, network security manager, and senior software architect for a regional ISP.

The top five NetAdmin articles say a lot about 2001
>From Nimda to Windows 2000 adoptions, the year 2001 was filled with events that had important implications for IT. The five most popular articles in NetAdmin Republic reflected these concerns. Take a look at which articles came out on top.

Making the case for improved security
You already know security is important. Here are compelling statistics to illustrate just how important it is. Use this information to help you develop a powerful argument when you try to win approval for a new security initiative.

TECHNOLOGY AND RISKS HAVE CHANGED. SECURITY HASN'T.
Security has never been so crucial to your business! Enjoy tremendous opportunities to deliver goods and services to consumers worldwide without the risk of individuals exploiting your Internet operations. Secure your Internet now! Click Here!

New Lucent CEO must rise to the occasion
Lucent's future depends in large part on new CEO Patricia F. Russo's management style and skill. Gartner is not convinced she has developed all the skills needed to succeed, but it believes she will find success by growing into the position.

Rev up those drives with either Diskeeper 6.0 or Windows 2000 Disk Defragmenter
Badly fragmented hard drives can cause a system to slow to a crawl. To help you combat this problem, here's a side-by-side discussion of two excellent utilities designed specifically for defragmentation.

XP and beyond
Microsoft just launched Windows XP, but Longhorn and Blackcomb are expected to ship in 2003 and 2005, respectively. This ZDNet Tech Update examines how this fast-paced OS rollout will affect your migration strategies.

Develop the master project plan
You're tasked with keeping a project running smoothly, so you need to be ready for potential issues to rear their ugly heads. Turn to us for help. Sign up now for our Project Management Blueprint e-newsletter, delivered each Thursday, and get the resources you need.