Got this from Brent Siegrist newsletter:

NOW IS THE TIME TO PUSH YOUR STAFF AND COMMUNITY TO CONTACT THE LEGISLATOR'S ABOUT 1%
SALES TAX!

Remember even if your district has it already in the long run it means around $700 per
pupil which probably means more money for your districts.

>From Brent:

Local Option Debate Heating Up

One of the hottest issues on the plate of the Iowa Legislature this year
isn't the state budget, it's how to help local school districts address
their building needs. Ever since the local option sales tax for school
infrastructure was approved by lawmakers, it has created a firestorm of
controversy between larger communities and smaller towns. Especially now
with Des Moines assessing an additional penny sales tax on purchases, rural
areas are crying foul saying that the rich are getting richer and the small
districts are getting the shaft.

"I'm torn somewhat," said Speaker Siegrist. "I'm not someone who believes
in raising taxes. At the same time, I'm hearing from people all over the
state that they want the local option sales tax for schools expanded
statewide. The issue has merit. Smaller school districts have needs far
beyond the capabilities of the state to pay for them right now, even beyond
the $50 million we approved a couple of years ago to help schools address
their building needs. And, as the program is set up now, the funds can only
be used for the costs associated with buildings and maintenance. When
schools are faced with shortfalls that mean teacher layoffs and fewer
academic benefits for the kids, how do you address that? It is a major
dilemma, one all of us in the legislature are struggling to get a handle on.

"I've asked a couple of Representatives to begin polling our members to
see what the pulse of the House is on this issue. I expect it will be a
House divided. Given this is an election year, the political reality is
that raising taxes is something a lot of people would rather not do, even
if it is the right thing to do. It is something where both sides of the
political aisle will have to support it in order to make it happen. It is
something where Governor Vilsack is going to have to give the issue some
public support to seal the deal if the legislation is to have a chance of
passage. I can't say today where the Iowa Legislature will land on this
issue, but I can say it's on the forefront of our minds."

Email your local reps and brent at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
Thanks,
Jon W. Hueser

http://www.mail-archive.com/tech-cord@aea5.k12.ia.us/