One suggestion I would make for the Star Schools grant is to write into your
grant the purchase of a video over IP teleconferencing unit.  (Application
deadline Oct.31/ Max. amount $25,000)

I have been working with a Falcon IP system and have been very impressed
with the quality of the connection.  It is a small box and camera that
connects via the Internet to other video conferencing machines and can also
serve as a connection to the ICN.   Currently, there are approx. 20 of these
units (maybe more) in the state and the state is negotiating a purchase
agreement to get the machines for around $2500.

Reasons for purchasing a videoconferencing unit:
a) connect to consultants at the AEA as part of the teachers' professional
development- saving on drive time and allowing for more one-on-one work with
teachers and AEA consultants (*consider the area of reading, math and
science as a focus because these will be the grants that get the most
consideration)
b) allows elementary buildings to connect to other elementary buildings to
support teacher collaboration and/or student collaboration
c) allows elementary buildings to connect to the ICN (connection is somewhat
slower but not bad)
d) if appropriate/desired, allows remote mentors to view classroom when
teacher knows and agrees to it
e) if there are multiple buildings in the district, it is a way to
communicate instantly and easily with other buildings/teachers
f) all of these sessions are free and require no scheduling or registration

If you would like to see a demo of this machine, let me know as I have one
in our office at IS-West -behind the McDonald's on Highway 169

Nancy
--
Nancy Movall
Instructional Technology & School Improvement Consultant

---

http://www.mail-archive.com/tech-cord@aea5.k12.ia.us/