From: "Internet Security Focus at Builder.com"
<Online#[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, July 01, 2002 2:30 AM
Subject: [Builder.com] Why Apache doesn't get an A+ for security

> Surprise! Apache isn't perfectly secure either
>       Visit Builder.com | July 1, 2002
>

>             Copyright Information
>
>             This e-newsletter may contain links to sites on the Internet
that are owned and operated by third parties. CNET Networks, Inc. is not
responsible for the content of any such third-party site.

>             Copyright 2002 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.
Builder.com is a trademark of CNET Networks, Inc.

>             Surprise! Apache isn't perfectly secure either
>
>             Longtime subscribers of this e-newsletter are well aware of my
soft spot for open source software. There are a number of reasons why I use
open source software when possible, including the fact that I don't have to
pay for it and the software's source code is readily accessible.

>             Since the source code is available, open source software bugs
are fair game for anyone smart enough to find and report them. This isn't to
imply that open source software undergoes more scrutiny than commercial
software.

>             In a perfect world, we could expect commercial software to be
bug-free and more secure and reliable than open source software. If a
software product delivers on its promises (open source or commercial),
people will use it. If it doesn't, people will find a substitute.

>             Sometimes I'm critical of commercial software companies
because they're in the business of producing software for a profit. I have
the (perhaps unrealistic) expectation that a commercial software product
should be more secure than open source software. Although open source
software bugs aren't as newsworthy as commercial software bugs, they still
exist. Case in point is the latest Apache vulnerability.

>             Since Internet Security Systems (ISS) recently reported a
somewhat major bug in the open source Apache Web server, there's been some
bad blood between Apache and ISS because of how and when the public was
informed. While it didn't shock me to learn about the Apache bug, the way
IIS handled the situation did surprise me.

>             I agree with Apache that ISS jumped the gun on announcing this
exploit. When a software product with a large-scale deployment has a
vulnerability or exploit, people need to know how to fix it. Usually the
people responsible for the software product are the first to learn about a
vulnerability, which allows them time to devise an acceptable solution for
the problem.

>             For instance, in the past, ISS did a remarkable job finding
and reporting software bugs in Microsoft's Web server software--while still
allowing Microsoft to come up with a fix before informing the public. I'm
not sure what went wrong with the Apache situation.

>             I believe that discovering bugs in widely distributed software
is a noble task, but one that requires some responsibility to the public.
Since Apache is the leading Web server platform, the risks of releasing
details about the bug before an acceptable solution was found was
irresponsible of ISS.

>             Jonathan Yarden is the senior UNIX system administrator,
network security manager, and senior software architect for a regional ISP.

>             We want your feedback
>
>             Tell us what you think about the latest Apache vulnerability.
Share your comments in our discussion forum.

>             Notice to Subscribers
>
>             Due to the upcoming U.S. holiday, we will not be delivering
newsletters on July 4 and 5. Internet Security Focus will be back to its
normal schedule the following work week.

>             In addition, our systems will be down that weekend, as we
switch to a new server-hosting facility. You may notice irregularities when
viewing newsletter content during that time. We thank you for your patience.

>             Serious vulnerability discovered in Apache chunk handling
>             Apache admins need to be aware of a dangerous flaw in the
Windows and 64-bit UNIX versions of Apache. The vulnerability has led to
some friction between Apache and the security company ISS, which released a
patch that Apache says is incomplete.

>             Five tips for configuring Apache
>             Apache server coughing up smoke? Give it a tune-up with these
five tips, and tweak the number of requests the box can handle.

>             Use JCE to share Java cryptography keys
>             The Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) simplifies the process
of using encryption and digital signatures and allows the necessary keys to
be shared with non-Java systems. Here's one way to use this powerful
feature.

>             Accessing flat files with Oracle SQL
>             A major Oracle9i enhancement is the ability to access
non-Oracle data from flat files via Oracle SQL. Don Burleson shows you how
to utilize this new feature in your applications.

>             Easily retrieve drive and system information in VB
>             Working with the Windows API can be cumbersome when you're
trying to access system or drive information. Visual Basic simplifies the
process with built-in objects.

>             Is your network safe and sound?
>             Where do vulnerabilities lie on your network? What are the
latest security updates and fixes? How can hackers infiltrate your system?
If you can't answer these three questions without hesitation, then your
network is in immediate danger. TechRepublic's Network Security TechMail,
delivered every Wednesday, will help you breathe a sigh of relief. Instantly
sign up!

>       Update subscriptions | Unsubscribe from this mail |Questions &
comments | Visit Builder

>  --- [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]

---

http://www.mail-archive.com/tech-cord@aea5.k12.ia.us/