George writes:
>    Microsoft realizes they really screwed up and are starting to react.
>If you notice the new Gateway computer ads, if you are a teacher or
>student, you can get Office education edition FREE.  It includes Word XP,
>Excel XP, Outlook XP, and Powerpoint XP.  I think that more sweetheart
>deals are in the wings for education.  Microsoft's push to change
>licensing really blew up in their face.  And then the Oregon deal.  The
>department of education in Oregon has tons of open sourced software and
>information available free.  I think Scott has the URL for that.

Linux keeps gaining ground, especially Red Hat, it seems.  What to do
about all the older OS software? What a loss should one wish to move away
from Win or Mac, when the SW isn't available yet.  I hope George is right
that the SW will follow.  We're seeing the trend; now what to do about it.
 With Lindows, we may have a better alternative than to just wait until SW
comes out for Linux.  Tonight, as I read Georges's missive, I read this
from EduPage.
------
VERITAS ANNOUNCES EXPANDED SUPPORT FOR LINUX
The Linux operating system received notable confirmation when Veritas,
maker of storage software, announced a series of partnerships and
programs to develop products for the operating system. The company will
develop products for Red Hat's Linux operating system, including
applications for Oracle clusters and IBM's zSeries mainframes. Mark
Bregman, an executive vice president at Veritas, said, "Linux is
clearly a tier-one operating system," equivalent to the other platforms
the company works with. According to Veritas CEO Gary Bloom, consumer
demand is the force behind development of Linux products. One industry
analyst said the new applications will give Veritas the most complete
suite of storage software prducts on the market.
InfoWorld, 29 July 2002
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/07/29/020729hnveritas.xml
-------
Steve Scarbrough, Technology Coordinator
Storm Lake Community School District
419 Lake Avenue
Storm Lake, IA  50588
712.732.8100   fax:8101