Den 2018-09-12 kl. 01:57, skrev Warner Losh:

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018, 5:48 PM Brad Spencer <b...@anduin.eldar.org <mailto:b...@anduin.eldar.org>> wrote:

    Eduardo Horvath <e...@netbsd.org> writes:

    > On Tue, 11 Sep 2018, Paul Goyette wrote:
    >
    >> While working on the compat code, I noticed that there are a
    few old
    >> syscalls which are defined in syc/compat/netbsd323/syscalls.master
    >> with a type of COMPAT_43, yet there does not exist any
    compat_netbsd32
    >> implementation as far as I can see...
    >>
    >>      #64     ogetpagesize
    >>      #84     owait
    >>      #89     ogetdtablesize
    >>      #108    osigvec
    >>      #142    ogethostid (interestingly, there _is_ an
    implementation
    >>                      for osethostid!)
    >>      #149    oquota
    >>
    >> Does any of this really matter?  Should we attempt to implement
    them?

    > I believe COMPAT_43 is not NetBSD 4.3 it's BSD 4.3. Anybody have
    any old
    > BSD 4.3 80386 binaries they still run?  Did BSD 4.3 run on an
    80386?  Did
    > the 80386 even exist when Berkeley published BSD 4.3?
    >
    > It's probably only useful for running ancient SunOS 4.x
    binaries, maybe
    > Ultrix, Irix or OSF-1 depending on how closely they followed BSD
    4.3.

    > Eduardo

    It has been a very long time since I did this, and I may not remember
    correctly, but I believe that COMPAT_43 is needed on NetBSD/i386
    to run
    BSDI binaries.  I remember using the BSDI Netscape 3.x binary back in
    the day and I think it was required.

FreeBSD does too... net2 was closer to 4.3 system calls for many things than 4.4.
When I wrote the vax port I used 4.3BSD Reno environment and NetBSD kernels with COMPAT_43.

Trivia:  I had two 11/750, one for compiling and one for test-booting, and used a dual-ported RP06
to get a test kernel in there quickly :-)

-- Ragge