On Sun, Feb 25, 2024 at 04:16:03AM -0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> t...@panix.com (Thor Lancelot Simon) writes:
>
> >Probably not a good idea to start with lseek() because if you _do_
> >encounter a tape device, seeking to SEEK_END could take you an extremely
> >long time.
>
> lseek() doesn't move the tape. But the open() or close() may trigger
> tape operations like loading or winding. Special files are special.

Ah, yes, that's the MTEOM ioctl -- approximately.

I have it stuck in my mind that SEEK_END did this, too, back when I
was a literal tape jockey for 9 track tapes on an 11/750 and a
collection of TK and QIC-150 drives.  But this could be an invention
of memory.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon                                        t...@panix.com

  "The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to
   be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."         - Noam Chomsky