At Sat, 6 Jul 2024 20:09:24 +0200, tlaro...@kergis.com wrote:
Subject: Re: POSIX.2, IFS and echo command

> Thanks. I think then that dash(1) is, in some circumstances (what
> version? what libc? Bug report was from a Debian node and I couldn't
> reproduce this with the dash in pkgsrc) at fault and doesn't split the
> arguments and passes "a\tb" as a single arg to echo.

dash(1) is kind of broken, I think by design/desire.

Herbert Xu forked a really old, and notably buggy at the time, NetBSD
/bin/sh to create dash back in mid 1997.  Then for some reason he
stopped pulling in NetBSD changes and fixes early in 2002 and so dash
has diverged ever since, especially with its own unique changes.

For some interesting reading:

        https://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/various/ash/

Go up a couple of levels for even more good reading.

--
                                        Greg A. Woods <gwo...@acm.org>

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <wo...@robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <wo...@planix.com>     Avoncote Farms <wo...@avoncote.ca>