Already checked the BIOS, as far as I can tell the problem is not there.
Also tried loading the Ubuntu live cd we have, which is how I am
accessing the internet and replying to this post on my partner's older
Gateway desktop, which seems also to have the exact same issue, we can
not get the hard drive operating system to load, at any rate, the live
cd will work in his system, but not in mine.
Any other thoughts?
Thanks

--- In tech4all@yahoogroups.com, Shaan Ali <shaan20...@...> wrote:

> Check ur BIOS first. It may not be HDD issue.
> If BIOS is ok, U may get free Linux OS (Knoppix, etc..) which runs
directly from CD. You dont need to install them on HDD. Start your
machine using linux and try to access your HDD. If success, copy all
your data to external HDD.