dredd> My $0.02 worth, but I would say that any package which tried to tie a
dredd> VM to it's "host components" (e.g., the physical components of the ESX
dredd> server hosting it) would be very very complicated, especially if you
dredd> added things like DRS into the equation, taking the human element out
dredd> of vmotion, storage vmotion, etc., etc.

Exactly why I was hoping that someone else had already solved this problem
and/or had a suggestion about how best to go about it.  :}