Hi everyone -- with all the fun that Sun/Oracle is having these days,
I'm starting to reconsider favourite hardware vendors.  ("I only have
one rose to give away...")  I'm looking for advice on ILOMs, and in
particular console access/Serial-Over-LAN.

Background: I work at a small university department, with our server
room across the street.  Almost everything we run is Linux or some
BSD.  Mama raised me right, so remote consoles are very, very
important to me.

I've had very good experience with Sun hardware.  The ILOMs work out
of the box, getting a serial console on the machine is very easy (SSH
in, run "start /SP/console"), and they work nearly flawlessly.  The
few times I've had problems with them, I've been able to reset the
ILOMs just fine.

By contrast, my experience with Dell ILOMs has been irritating:

* Console redirection depends on having eight different settings just
right

* The ILOMs sometimes drop off the network and stop responding for no
apparent reason; I haven't figured out a way to reset the ILOM w/o
actually pulling out all the power to the server

* Identical servers purchased at the same time have different ILOM
firmware revisions, causing console redirection to work on only some
of them

I'm hoping someone can point me to another vendor (HP, IBM...anyone
else?) for x86 servers with ILOMs that:

* are available by SSH

* are reliable

* allow console redirection either over SSH or by Serial-over-LAN/IPMI
command-line tools, including BIOS screens.

* plus the usual IPMI stuff (check FRUs, SNMP, power cycle, etc)

Bonus points for being less expensive than Sun and having
offices/resellers in Canada.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Hugh