On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Patrick Cable <p...@pcable.net> wrote:
> Regarding using DHCP to configure servers:
>
> I am of the mindset that as long as the server gets the same address
> every time, I don't care how it gets configured, and if I'm going to
> set up a DHCP infrastructure why not do it for everything. I believe
> that even though things may never change, the ability to make things
> easily changeable is something worthwhile.

DHCP has the additional advantage of making it easy to reconfigure
DNS, NTP, router, etc. for the entire network at the same time.

> Others are of the mindset that server IPs change so infrequently that
> it is not worth putting in DHCP and risky to do so. What's the benefit
> if the addresses never change?

But if, for example, the entire network room looses power and your
DHCP servers are offline when everything else tries to boot you may
have trouble. Heaven forbid this should ever happen to you, but it
/can/ happen. Also, depending on your dhclient application and DHCP
servers your host may handle this situation differently.

> I am looking at a network renumber in my future, so I was going to
> deploy this with the renumber.

I just went through a network renumber, having DHCP for the servers helped.

I use static assignments for all hosts, servers and clients, managed
through my directory service. A new server will initially be
configured for DHCP; once it is operational the configuration
management system will reconfigure it to be either a static address or
a custom dhclient.conf that specifies an address but requests other
values from the DHCP server. (I also have multiple DHCP servers.)

Also, now that we are using virtual servers we have a lot more servers
to manage and they are a lot more dynamic. DHCP is has been very
useful in this environment.

--
Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--