From: Ryan Dorman [mailto:ryan.dor...@blackboard.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2010 6:21 PM
To: Dustin Puryear; David Magda
Cc: LOPSA Tech List; gene...@brlug.net; sage-memb...@sage.org
Subject: RE: [SAGE] Offsite DNS hosting for Active Directory

I'd lean on the side of just firing up a FOSS/*NIX DNS server as the secondary.

The "AD-ness" of DNS revolves around SRV records in certain delegated subzones.
It allows for computers to say "OK, I'm in domain.xyz and I want to find out
where its IM server (for example) is." And then it does a lookup for that
service record and gets an A record back so it knows where to talk to.

What I'm hearing (reading?) you say is that you want general workstation
functionality in the case of  DC outage.  That most likely means they just need
to be able to get to servers and Internet sites which a standard BINDish DNS
server that had a slave copy of your AD zones would be able to handle.

-rd