Hi Guys,

I have managed to accelerate an Elite3D card on a Blade 1000. It
requires a binary blob in order to work, the utility to do so is called
afbinit and the port can be found here:

http://students.dec.bmth.ac.uk/ebarrett/files/afbinit.tgz

It works well once you get the firware on the card. Mplayer performance
and window drawing is greatly improved, but theres an issue. The
firmware only seems to load when X11 has already been started once
without the firmware. If you attempt to load the firmware before, the
afbinit fails to mmap().

Needless to say, this makes putting afbinit in rc.local awkward. So I
was hoping someone with some X11 hacking experience might be able to
lend a hand. I am guessing the card needs to be "initialised" in some
way prior to the firmware coming in. I wonder if ttyCX is the right
device node in the first place.

--

Best Regards

Edd Barrett
(Freelance software developer / technical writer / open-source developer)

http://students.dec.bmth.ac.uk/ebarrett